Monday, July 28, 2008

Our half century became a two-thirds century

Dana, Blake, Dave, and I signed up to participate in the Seattle Century yesterday (Sunday), choosing the half century (50 mile) option. We were worried about Blake's back last week and wondered if Blana would be able to participate. Luckily Blake was okay after a 10 mile ride on Saturday, so Dave and I got some company. We met at my place at 8:00 a.m. The weather wasn't looking good - it rained the night before, was cool and overcast, and it still looked like it might rain. With hopes of sun later in the day, we set out for Magnuson Park, the start of the century.

I had my first adventure on the way to the starting point - slipping when we stopped quickly and almost wiping out (luckily I was spared). We checked in relatively late and started biking about 9:10 a.m. The route went clockwise around Lake Washington, so we started going north on the Burke Gilman Trail towards Bothell. The first rest stop was at Bothell Landing (a little over 10 miles from Magnuson), and we made good time. The first stop had limited amenities, but we enjoyed a few munchies and headed out. The next stop was at Marymoor Park (again, a little over 10 miles). It felt like we made even better time on this stretch. Marymoor had a substantial rest stop with fried chicken (who provides that?), REI bike maintenance assistance, etc. Blana enjoyed some fried chicken - Dave and I (the vegetarians) enjoyed some fruit bars.

The next stretch was from Marymoor to Mercer Island. I had never biked the portion from Marymoor to Factoria. This seemed like a long stretch to us, and somewhere along the way we examined the guide and realized that the next stop was over 17 miles away (i.e. not the "every 12 miles" they indicated), and more importantly that the course was more than 58 miles rather than 50. Shortly after heading out from Marymoor Dave realized he didn't have his gloves and sprinted back to get them. Dana, Blake, and I continued on West Lake Sammamish at a leisurely pace. A few miles (and small hills) later Dave caught up to his, with his gloves (yay). We regrouped just before the largest elevation gain of the course. There was a climb with cut backs up to I-90, where we then walked our bikes across an overpass bridge. From there we were in Bellevue and continued to climb up Newport Way. Then we started our decent down winding roads into Factoria. From here we crossed next to I-90 again, and went through the south end of the Mercer Slough. Then we picked up the I-90 bike trail for the short section from Bellevue to Mercer Island. Once in Mercer Island there are a few rolling hills before Luther Burbank Park, the site of the next rest stop. I was feeling good and cruising along in the front until my second incident of the ride. I was descending a hill and going pretty fast when a bee flew into my face. It got caught because of the speed, my helmet, and glasses, and was trying to get out as I was trying to brush him away. I got stung on the side of the head near my eye. In the process I had abandoned steering, and ran up into some ivy on the side of the path. Luckily I refocused and managed not to fall. Dave was right behind me and was obviously concerned to see me veering wildly all over the path. I was glad that he managed to remain calm and look for the stinger while I was crying on the side of the road. Blana came along right behind us and discovered this concerning situation. After stressing out for a few minutes, we continued a mile or two to Luther Burbank Park. I found some first aid supplies and was able to take a Benadryl and use an insect sting wipe. These helped a lot and I was able to continue with the ride.

After enjoying some strawberry shortcake on Mercer Island, we crossed the I-90 bridge. This was my second time across (headed in the opposite direction from last time) and Dave's first time. The bridge seems to be longer than you think. I feel like everyone powers across because you don't want to be hanging out in the middle of the bridge. It's definitely an adrenaline rush getting up the hill to the Seattle side. Then there is an incredibly steep hill up to Lake Washington Boulevard. Dave and I saw this short, but steep hill and stopped. Blana decided to keep going (though they were hating life while they did it). Quote Dave later on in the day, this is the point where he was "done" with the event. And none of us blame him since he was definitely at 50 miles by this point. We made our way along the Lake to Lake trail towards the UW, cursing every rolling hill in our path. Blana had a flat tire and we stopped to put in more air. It was pretty painful to finish the last few miles since we had biked along these to go to the park in the morning and would have to retrace our steps to go home.

At the finish they had a catered dinner and music. It was very fancy! Dave and I couldn't figure out where Dana and Blake went, and discovered later that their tire went flat again and they had to walk the last half mile. Still, we enjoyed salmon and chicken (Dana and Blake did!), salad, pasta, rolls, asparagus (Blake and Dave did!), brownies, etc. Very delicious and much needed for raising our blood sugar. After hanging out for a bit we went to change the tube in Blana's tire. I wanted to watch/help Blake to learn how. Blake successfully changed the tire and we started home, slowly but surely. By the time we reached the U Village their tire was flat again. We didn't want to damage their rim, so we walked up to 20th and 62nd. After trying to re-inflate the tire with no success, we walked the rest of the way. I don't think any of us had a problem with that since our butts were very sore!

We cleaned up a bit and went to Wallingford in search of protein and ice cream. First we went to Murphy's for dinner, then to Molly Moon for dessert. It was all very delicious! On our way back we stopped at Bri/Danielle/Erin's for a game of Clue. Those of us that biked were operating on about 2 brain cells, so we didn't do very well. Then it was time for sleeping!

I was thinking of biking to work this morning to get myself on a bike the day after a long ride. I wanted to assess my soreness in the morning. I actually felt okay and was suited up ready to leave when I decided to put more air in my tires. The top nozzle of the front tire's valve broke off. I wasn't sure if it would still work, so I tried inflating it. When I took off the pump all the air rushed out. So, I need a new tube. I didn't have time to address that this morning, so no biking for me. I figure the universe was telling me to take some rest! I'm going to go home and try to change my tube, since I got some practice with Blana's yesterday.

I'm hoping to bike for a few minutes tonight (just to be in the saddle) and to bike to work on Thursday and Friday (sorry Erin!). Dave and I will be out of town this weekend, but maybe we'll get a chance to rent some bikes. And there will definitely be more biking in August. Less than two months to go!

I'm on track with training and feeling stronger and more confident. I still get nervous about being good enough, doing this by myself, all those things. I know this will be an inspiring and character-building experience, and I would still say my excitement outweighs my fears. Dave has been so amazing reassuring me whenever I'm worried, supporting me on all rides and joining me on many, and generally helping me prepare mentally and physically for this adventure. I feel truly lucky to have other friends and family - like my parents, Dana, Blake, Brianne, Danielle, Erin, and so many others help me train. Thanks everyone!

No comments: