Friday, July 11, 2008

re+vision: Design Your (Neighbor)Hood

This week I've had the chance to work with an awesome group of teens participating in re+vision: Design Your (Neighbor)Hood at SAM. The program is focused on design principals, and integrates art with urban planning. I had the opportunity to talk to the group about ecological footprints. We tried out one online footprint calculator, and today the teens will be headed down to the Olympic Sculpture Park for ART Attack - a monthly teen program at SAM. They will be leading an art activity for other teens that teaches a lesson about ecological footprinting.

I'm so glad to be a part of this! We've had some great conversations about strategies for reducing your ecological footprint (your carbon footprint is a component of your ecological footprint). Biking is a fantastic method of reducing your impact. I have big dreams of what I could do on my bike, and of avoiding to a greater and greater extent driving in a car. It's nice to remember that each step I take to prepare for Climate Ride is an investment in my ability to use my body to transport myself where I need to go.

No comments: