Saturday, August 9, 2008

Time to blog

It's been a while since I've written and it's about time I got caught up!

After the half century the valve on one of my tires broke. I discovered that I didn't have the right tube to change it, so I had to pick one up. I succeeded in changing my own tire, and it was actually really easy! I was super proud of myself for doing it right.

Last weekend Dave and I went to Victoria, so no riding. We did have a wonderful time relaxing and walking around. I'm putting in a picture even though it doesn't relate to biking...


On Monday I took my bike in to REI for a servicing. Now it's nice and clean, and riding smooth! I had to replace a bracket on the crank (kind of like the axle). I also had them put on clipless pedals. I didn't have the cleats installed on my biking shoes yet, so I rode home on top of the pedals.

That night I put on the cleats, and the next morning Erin and I biked in - our last ride to work together!

My dad and Cathy met me after work at the park and we rode up to the Ballard Locks. It was fun to check out the trail through Myrtle Edwards. The bike path is tight and surrounded by fences as you continue north. We took a side path to look at the marina by Palisades. Soon the path joined the road, but there were bike lanes along the way to Discovery Park. From there you have to turn down a hill and follow a wooden bridge to come out near the locks. You can't bike across the locks, but it was fun to walk across.

I didn't have any trouble getting my foot out of the clips, which was good. I think that I might actually need to tighten the right one - hopefully that won't result in falls!

The last few days have been super busy! I enjoyed attending the re+vision students' final presentation. Dave leaves today for St. John, so I've been trying to spend time with him the last few days. I leave for Hawaii before he gets back, so sadly our vacations weren't well coordinated. I miss him already. :( I'll be keeping busy this week and hopefully getting in some good rides before my trip. I'm planning to bike with Blake and Dana tomorrow - about 30 miles around Lake Sammamish. I'm meeting up with Debe tomorrow, so hopefully I can bike to meet her and get in some extra miles. I'm planning some bike to work days and a couple of evening rides this week to up my miles.

The next week I'll be in Hawaii, but I'll be very active. Labor Day weekend and the following weekend (September 6 and 7). I'm hoping to do 2 days in a row of 50-70 mile rides. That's where I should be on my training schedule. If I can do that and follow up with shorter rides - to increase the miles and spend time in the saddle - I should be set. I'll be busy with work the next weekend, but I'll probably try to get in a ride on the 14th. I need to make my appointment with REI to pack and ship my bike. Whenever I do that I'll begin resting until New York. It's coming! A little more than a month away!

Thanks to everyone for your support. It means so much to me, and I hope that you appreciate the climate protection cause. I'm about 1/3 of the way to my fundraising requirement to participate in the ride. Thanks for helping me reach this!

No comments: