Sunday, July 6, 2008

Gregg's, Gas Works, UW, Burke-Gilman, and The Ram = A good biking weekend

Dave got his new bike! Check it out:



Aww...doesn't he look like a biker? I love it. :)

It was a great (but busy) weekend. Having Friday off provided some (much needed) rest. On Friday afternoon Dave and I went for a short, but nice, bike ride over to Gregg's Cycle. We both got biking shoes. His bike came with clip pedals and I bought some for mine. I also got a new lock and flat repair kit materials. Dave got a helmet - I was glad because I was worried about him!

From there we rode down Stone Way to the Burke Gilman trail. We passed by tons of people headed into Gas Works Park for the fireworks. Early in the afternoon we had seen the hill filling up from the freeway, and it was clear that things would be crazy down there by the time the fireworks started. Luckily we made it through the crowd relatively easily, and went over to the UW. I gave Dave a biking tour of campus and showed him so of the different buildings I took classes in. We tried out Erin's route home from school up 20th, which was a really nice ride.

Friday night we went to the Olympic Sculpture Park for fireworks - they were beautiful and we sat right next to the Calder. Saturday I had Kendra's bachelorette party - limos, wine tasting, games, and Pioneer Square - oh my! After cleaning up and decompressing a bit on Sunday, Dave helped me get up some momentum and we went for a ride.

This was the first time Dave had used his clips for riding, so I was paranoid about him getting stuck. He did a fantastic job, though (now I'm going to feel ridiculous when I fall on my face). We went north past Lake Forest Park and found a grassy hill to lay out in the sun for a bit (and take some adorable pictures - see the right column). We were getting super hungry at that point, so we started back towards home. Dave succeeded in talking me into going to the Ram - to satisfy my veggie burger craving - even though I was gross, sweaty, and sans-makeup. Oh, not to mention that I was wearing spandex bike shorts...ugh. We went for it, though, and I was so glad we did. Delicious! I was concerned about hauling ourselves back up the hill to my house, but Dave's response was, "We can always walk the bikes." Hehehe. Nope, no need to restrain ourselves on eating. We'll walk the bikes. We were actually fine, despite our milkshake indulgence, and made it back up no problem.

It's a bit overwhelming buying all this new equipment, but every piece is so helpful once I figure it out. I'm getting there!

1 comment:

dpwilson said...

Of course what you didn't mention (maybe for the best) is that I did in fact fall flat on my face while clipped into my bike. Luckily, albeit sadly, I wasn't moving when I fell so while it made me feel very silly, it didn't hurt. Hopefully that will be my one fall and riding will go much smoother from now on.