Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday was great! The girls came over for brunch (yum) and then Dave and Blake joined us for a ride to Bothell. Blake and Dana rode on their tandem and Brianne, Danielle, Dave, and I joined them on our singles.

We got down to the Burke-Gilman without any problems (Danielle was very brave on the street!). Th weather was perfect - sunny, but not too hot. We had a nice, relaxing ride. At one point Dave decided to sprint, and I thought it would be a good idea to try and catch him. Then I got stuck behind slower riders and couldn't get through for a minute. I wasn't too far back, though! :)

It was nice to reach Bothell Landing. Danielle enjoyed the grass and a chance to get some water. Hehehe. We debated where to get ice cream and then Blake stopped holding out on us and let us know that there was a Baskin Robbins a few blocks away. So, we took a little walk for a sweet treat.

When we got back Dave and I wanted to try Blake and Dana's tandem. They showed us how to have the person in front (Dave) straddle and hold up the bike while the person in back (Jackie) climbs on. I put my feet in the cages and turned the pedals to start. Then Dave put in one foot and I provided power while Dave kicked off. If you've never noticed, the pedals on a tandem move together. That means you have to pedal in sync. I think we did pretty well. We rode up a little ways and then came back. We enjoyed it!

Then Blake and Dana left (they had parked in Bothell and rode to Ravenna in the morning to avoid the 520 bridge closure). Brianne, Danielle, Dave, and I headed back on the Burke. We had fun showing Danielle how to get her bike going really fast to carry her up hills. We were also admiring the scenery (Mt. Rainier was out).

Everyone was very hungry when we got back. I'm not sore, but my pinkie finger keeps going numb. I'm hoping to put on my new seat and make some adjustments to try and avoid the pressure on my hands. Sadly the bike computer I bought isn't going to work, so I have more exchanges to come at REI. Later this afternoon I'm going to ride to Issaquah and meet Dave at work. I'll be cleaning my chain before then - it's gross! All the work in having my gear together for biking is getting a bit tedious, but I'm trying to keep my spirits up. Everyone was really supportive yesterday - thanks friends!

No comments: