Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Issaquah Adventure!

I was off work on Monday (yesterday) after working on Friday night and Saturday. I decided this was the perfect opportunity for riding 30 miles 2 days in a row (where I should be at on training). Dave and I have also been talking about me riding out to his work for a while.

I had no idea how long it would take me to ride from Ravenna to Issaquah across the I-90 bridge, so I planned to leave at 2 p.m. (which naturally turned into 2:15 p.m.). I went down to the Burke Gilman, across the Montlake Bridge, and connected to the Lake Washington Loop Trail (goes along Lake Washington Boulevard to Seward Park). At this point I was in new biking territory. I had never ridden any of the route.

The Lake Washington Loop Trail has a lot of turns - and a lot of signs. It goes through residential neighborhoods (including near Debe and Robbie's house!), through winding roads, up and down hills. The ride was beautiful. I could see Lake Washington, Mt. Rainier, and I-90 as I approached it. There were a few places where I was really hoping I correctly interpreted the signs/my notes on directions. Luckily I did, and found myself at the I-90 outlook.

This is where you get on the bike trail across I-90. For those not familiar, there is a separated bike lane on the far left side of the I-90 bridge with a large barrier to separate you from traffic. I wanted to be ready to power across the bridge, so I stopped for a minute at the outlook (text messaging Dave so he would know where I was). Then I went for it. Being on the bridge was like being in a wind tunnel, but it was completely exhilarating! It's actually a pretty long bridge, and it's somewhat difficult to judge your distance out there. But, I pedaled hard and made it across to Mercer Island with no problem.

I stopped at a park to text Dave that I was safely across, and my chain popped off for the first time. I was able to fix it, but this started my day being covered in grease. The chain came off again in another couple miles when I shifted at an inopportune time. I kept rubbing my leg on the chain and as a result still have grease on my right calf today.

Getting into Bellevue was easier than I thought, and it was fun to go through the Mercer Slough (where I used to teach environmental education). I got confused when I reached 118th and missed the trail head for the I-90 trail. I went a couple miles out of my way by going the wrong direction and turning around. Eventually I found the trail, which dumped me out in Factoria. I had to ride up a hill in Factoria next to I-90. This was the first time I really started feeling tired in my legs. I was able to push through it, and got my energy back shortly.

After cutting through a neighborhood, I reached Newport which took me down a hill towards Issaquah. I actually went a different way than my directions, and cut down over I-90 to a roundabout. I was completely scared of being on my bike in a roundabout and veered to the right up a hill. Luckily this ended up being West Lake Sammamish and took me towards town. I kept having to stop and check my map, but eventually made it to the street Dave's office is on. I rode right past it and had to come back (I am not directionally inclined), but I got there.

When Dave found me I had salt from dried on sweat flaking off my face, grease all over (including a little on my face!), and I was generally a mess. But, I made it in one piece and good spirits. I was able to get cleaned up and do some reading before trivia. With map reading stops and short breaks I made it in 3 hours. I think I could do it in 2.5 if not for the misdirection. Not bad!

No comments: