Monday, August 25, 2008

Need help reaching donation requirement

Hello family and friends,

I need your help to reach the donation requirement to participate in Climate Ride. In order to participate in the ride I must reach $2,250. My plane tickets are purchased, arrangements for shipping my bike are set, and I've been training since April. I am prepared to donate $500 on my own beyond the time and money I'm putting into the ride, but I really need your help to raise an additional $860 to get to that point. Thank you so much to those of you who have already donated, and for spreading the word to additional family and friends.

To donate please visit my personal fundraising page linked on the right (https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=272731&supid=214510737) or you can submit a donation through the mail by printing the downloadable form on the donation page. The ride starts on my birthday, and I encourage you to make a donation to support the ride if you were considering giving a present. If you are not able to offer support financially, here are other ways you can help:

1. Spread the word! Please help me reach family, friends, environmental and cycling advocates, anyone! I'm the only person in Washington participating in the ride, so if you have contacts in local cycling organizations you think might be interested in lending support, please let me know.
2. Share your encouragement, advice, questions, whatever you have. Positive energy is exactly what I need! Thanks to everyone who has been on a training ride, keeping up with my blog, or asking me how training is going. Special thanks to Dave for his incredible patience with me as I go through this process.
3. Let me know if you have a light, compact, backpacking-style tent or sleeping bag that I could borrow for the ride.
4. Let me know if you have a large bag appropriate for packing a tent, sleeping bag, cycling gear, etc. that I could borrow. Thanks to Danielle for offering hers - I'd like to try it out!
5. Let me know if you have contacts in New York that I might be able to stay with on September 18 - 20 before the ride. If they don't have space, I'd also appreciate help navigating! Thanks to Sarah for putting me up in DC!


I also want to share with you my story of why I want to participate in Climate Ride.

First, and most importantly, I deeply believe in the cause. As you know, my work is centered around my belief in building a sustainable society. I believe it is essential that we find ways to live that facilitate the conservation of ecological systems while considering environmental equity, human rights, cultural sensitivity, and education for people around the world. It has been my pleasure in the last year to work as the Environmental Steward for Seattle Art Museum, where I work on programs that demonstrate the connections between art, environment, and life. I am also involved in building community partnerships, an active network of internal SAM conservation supporters, and a fantastic and dedicated group of volunteers, along with supporting the inspirational site of the Olympic Sculpture Park. This spring I organized "Climate Day for Kids," a family program at the park. I also manage SAM's membership in Seattle Climate Partnership and Seattle Climate Action Now. Global climate change is a huge issue, and one that affects all people. The time to make changes is now, and that is exactly what Climate Ride calls for. I view Climate Ride as a way to continue my support of environmental initiatives in my personal life.

Climate Ride benefits two influential organizations: Clean Air-Cool Planet and Focus the Nation. Clean Air-Cool Planet is an example of the many regional groups forming to address climate change, and often setting the goal of meeting the requirements of the Kyoto Protocol. As you may know, The Kyoto Protocol was an international agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (the cause of global climate change). The United States is not a signatory of the protocol. The City of Seattle has been a leader in this area under Mayor Nickels, forming Seattle Climate Partnership and Seattle Climate Action Now. Washington is also active in the Western Climate Initiative and through 1Sky Washington. Focus the Nation is an incredible educational organization. Last winter Focus the Nation gathered students and community members to discuss climate change, a clean energy economy, and solutions for a sustainable society. Community-based networks and solutions-oriented thinking predominate today, and it is exciting to see people of all types come together to solve the problems we face.

Additionally, I view Climate Ride as an incredible and life-changing experience. I have never participated in an event as physically demanding as Climate Ride - I will bike 320 miles from New York City to Washington, D.C. in 5 days (50-80 miles per day). I am also participating in this ride as an individual, which will require me to find strength in myself and to get to know the other riders along the way. While I've traveled many places to meet friends and family, this is the first trip where I am not meeting someone on the other side (at least not until DC!). I'm definitely nervous, but I'm excited and know that I will be proud of myself afterwards. I also know that I will have lots of love and good vibes coming my way from all across the country! There's a big part of me that wants to be the kind of person who can undertake this sort of adventure - this is my way of finding that person in myself. Add in that Climate Ride starts on my 26th birthday (September 20), and I feel like I've found the perfect way to celebrate!

Thank you for your love and support,
Jackie

No comments: