Monday, October 20, 2008

Post-ride - Washington, D.C.

I was so pleased to spend some time with Sarah in Washington, D.C. before returning home. Sarah, Brianne, and I were best friends in junior high and whenever I see Sarah I am reminded of how much I miss her and why I love her so much.

It was probably also best for my health to relax at Sarah's before confining myself to an airplane seat for the ride home. I think Dave might have preferred to get me back sooner, but I was pretty much in staring at the wall phase for a couple of days after riding. My body was completely confused.

I woke up on Thursday morning when Sarah and her roommate Meredith were getting ready for work. It was confusing to not need to jump up, wash my face, pack my tent, and jump on my bike. I thoroughly enjoyed lounging in bed. By the way, Sarah had the world's most comfortable air mattress. I totally loved this thing. I could use it as a regular bed. Anyways...

After moving to the couch, I watched some TV and wrote the Day 0 and Day 5 blogs. Meredith was headed to New York on Friday, so Thursday was my only day with computer access. I ate some leftover cheese and crackers - yum. I also did some laundry and hung up my tent to dry in the shower. Eventually I needed more substantial food, so I walked down to M Street and got a latte and muffin (apparently that qualified as more substantial food). When I got back I showered and started to get ready for the Nationals' game that night. I was walking to Dupont Circle to meet Sarah at work, and we would take the subway from there.

My back was definitely bothering me after riding, especially when I walked. It really wasn't too bad, considering. Most significantly I felt very tired. After stopping to buy super glue to fix my glasses (they broke the night before), I made my way slowly to Sarah's work. I really appreciate the efficiency and ease of subway systems, and I really like the D.C. subway because it isn't at all intimidating. We made it very quickly to the game, but it started to rain.

Meredith and I walked around looking for vegetarian food, and settled on burritos and beer. We ate and waited through the rain delay. Finally we decided there was no way the game would happen, so we went home (pretty funny, but okay since the tickets were free). I was just glad that the rain came the day after my ride!

At home we relaxed and watched TV. It was glorious. Seriously.

After another pleasant night sleep, my Friday was very similar to my Thursday. I got up and relaxed on the couch, hanging up the other half of my tent to finish drying. Eventually I walked down to M Street for food. That afternoon I met Sarah at work again, and we went to the Sculpture Garden.

I was so proud of myself. First we saw the Typewriter Eraser, just like the one at the Olympic Sculpture Park. Then I correctly identified a Louise Bourgeois spider - dude! It's like I've learned something! I also spotted a Calder. So, apparently I only know artists in my park, but that is still progress!

We took some wine and snacks, but then we got rained on. We decided to head home pretty quickly. Still, it was a fun adventure!

That night we had dinner with Gavin (Sarah's boyfriend) and relaxed. The next morning they would be headed out to Pennsylvania and I would catch the Amtrak to Baltimore for my flight out.

Everything went smoothly on the way home. Amtrak was easy and pleasant. The shuttle to the airport was waiting for us when we arrived. My flights were on time, and my luggage made it through. Dave picked me up - and I was so incredibly happy to see him! He took me home, where he had food and flowers. It was great.

I was pretty sleepy after getting home, but I had a wonderful time on Sunday apple picking with Dana, Blake, Brianne, Danielle, and Erin.

It's taken me a long time to feel normal again. I had numb spots on my fingers and toes for weeks, but they are finally almost better. Getting my energy back has also been challenging. Now I have my bike back and reassembled, so I guess I wil bike again someday soon! I haven't done it yet.

All in all this was a great experience. It was incredibly challenging, but I met wonderful people and I am so proud of myself for what I have accomplished! Thank you to everyone who supported me. I couldn't have made it without you! The thought of everyone behind me was an effective motivator that helped m through when the road was hard. I hope that this ride was a success, in that I had directly and indirectly reminded people about the importance of climate change - I truly believe this is a key issue in the years to come. Again, thanks to the many people who have been a part of this experience.

Signing off,
Jackie




No comments: